Are you wanting to learn how to make the best homemade pasta? Read on to discover how we do it at Riccardo’s Italian Restaurant..
If you are a pasta fanatic then making homemade pasta would have definitely crossed your mind. Even if you’re not, if you have tried it, you know there’s no going back.
At Riccardo’s Italian restaurant we make our pasta fresh every morning. Our chefs learnt how to make to make it at Zucchoni in Montecatini Terme in Tuscany, one of the most famous home-made pasta producers in Italy.
Making homemade pasta is super cheap and easy, using only 4 ingredients: Eggs, Flour, Olive oil and Salt. All our ingredients are Italian, even our organic eggs which give our pasta a distinct and unmistakable colour.
A secret tip is that we make our pasta with golden semolina flour, instead of refined white flour, giving it a much richer flavour. Mario, one of our long time chefs, showed me the beautiful process start to finish!
Here’s our Recipe:
- Due to the quantity of fresh pasta we are making each day, we use a stand mixer. It mixes and kneads the flour, eggs and olive oil together for at least 10 minutes.
- Next, form the dough into a ball with your hands and wrap in cling fling (this stops the dough drying out). Let the dough rest and cool for at least 30 minutes.
- Shape and feed the pasta dough into the pasta roller at your desired thickness, making sure to lightly flour it as well to prevent the dough sticking to the roller
- After you have rolled your pasta dough, connect your chosen pasta cutter and feed the dough through.
- Swirl the pasta into into ‘nests’ on a floured surface to dry for at least 30 minutes before cooking in salty boiling water.
If you do not own a pasta machine, don’t fear! You can make homemade pasta without a pasta maker, it just takes a little more effort. There is lots of guidance online to help with this.
Personally, I think investing in a pasta machine is an excellent choice. However, this could be due to my own slight obsession with homemade pasta…
Or alternatively you can book a table at Riccardo’s and order one of our many homemade pasta dishes! From Pappardelle con ragu di cervo, Tuscany’s regional dish, to Spaghetti cozze, a seafood classic. We’ve got you covered!
Luckily for our gluten intolerant customers, we also offer homemade gluten free pasta, which we make with cornflour. We offer a range of wheat free and gluten free pasta options to try and accommodate all dietary requirements.
Call 020 7370 6656 to book a table or if you’re passing 126 Fulham Road, South Kensington, SW3 6HU pop in and speak to one of our friendly team members. Additionally, if you are interested in getting taught by one of our talented chefs and participating in a pasta making lesson, please contact us.